Palácio Boa Vista
Palácio Boa Vista, in Campos do Jordão, was inaugurated on July 20th, 1964, by Governor Adhemar de Barros, to house the winter official residence. Later it also became a public museum.
Spread over a 3,000 square meter area, it holds, in its several rooms and hallways, a collection of 1,450 pieces of furniture, chinaware, religious works, silverworks, paintings and sculptures from the 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th Centuries.
The 1940 original project, by the Polish architect Jorge Przirembel, was later altered, although its Tudor style facade remained. The contruction was interrupted from 1952 to 1963 and only in 1964, when governor Adhemar de Barros took office again, did he commission the conclusion of the building.
But it was only from Abreu Sodré’s term of office on (1964-1969) that the Palace started to receive ornamental works of art. As from 1969, under instructions of the then Secretary of Finance Luis Arrobas Martins, paintings and sculptures from Brazilian Modernism, Baroque furniture and sacred images were purchased to build the collection.
In 1970, an event based on the Mozart Festival in Salzburg, Austria, originated the Campos do Jordão Winter Festival, nowadays the largest classical music event in Latin America, that takes place all over the city.